Thursday, June 28, 2012

So Let It Be Written, So Let It Be Done...

Six months ago I started this blog and told myself that I would not be one of those to just throw it by the wayside and do the usual "Lyndsey" thing and just quit if it got a little overwhelming. I did very well the first few months and then things started to slack.  I was busy with work and other things, but I believe I could have still found the time to write.  I've been contemplating a way to keep me focused on writing so this sort of thing doesn't happen again.  I know how horribly vacant all of your lives were during this period so I am vowing it never happen again!

I decided that the best way to keep myself on point is to incorporate a weekly blog post having some sort of theme.  I thought about several different options, but none of them really struck ma fancy and really interested me enough that I would look forward to writing about each week.  So I continued to think.

Pardon the following stream of consciousness.  It may not make sense and I may lose some of you, but what can I say?  It's pretty strange inside this head.  Moving on.

I've had a couple of conversations over the past few weeks with a friend of mine who is, in his own words, a "political nerd."  The first conversation about our nation's impending healthcare ended with a frazzled, slightly tipsy me storming inside to the couch where I'm pretty sure I pouted for the next half hour.  The next conversation held was about the whole synthetic drug phenomena happening in our country and the man who apparently was high on "bath salts" and ate a homeless man's face.  This story broke more than a month ago and I had no idea everyone around me was talking about it.  My ignorance of this story and others regarding "bath salts" prompted my friend to reply, "Don't you ever read the news?"  I was angry at first that he could make such a judgy assumption, but then I thought about it and realized that he was right.  I don't read the news.  I don't have a strong grasp on what is going on in my community, state, and the world around me, and that is sad. 

So since then I've made a conscious effort to be up to date on current affairs.  I feel smarter already!  Thanks Willard!  While reading an article featuring Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's response to the Supreme Court's decision regarding the Affordable Care Act and another 2010 Gubernatorial candidate by the name of Tim James came to mind.  James's ingenious idea to end multilingual testing for driver's licenses and provide English-only testing led to an even more ingenious campaign commercial regarding the issue.  This commercial led to several parodies, one of which made me roll when I first saw it.  Here is a throwback vidja from 2010.  Enjoy.


Gotta love it.  From this video, my idea for "Throwback Thursday" was formed.  Each Thursday I will come up with some sort of something from the past to entertain us all.  Sound good to all of you?  Good.  So let it be written, so let it be done.

I bet y'all thought it was going to be a weekly political rant.  I haven't earned my Political Nerd status quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment